A UCSBnetID is required to access campus networks and systems. If you need this access, UCSB Extension will send you an e-mail with directions for creating a UCSBnetID. If you do not receive an e-mail, do not attempt to create a UCSBnetID and password. Note that Extension courses may not require this access.
Open University Courses, however, do require this access. Please contact UCSB Extension if you should have access to campus networks and systems and have not received an e-mail from UCSB Extension directing you to create a UCSBnetID. If you have received this e-mail and are having difficulties, please direct your inquiries to the contact in the e-mail.
Note: These directions are only for students taking Open University courses. Students enrolled in Extension courses that require GauchoSpace will be e-mailed separate instructions. Please note that not all instructors teaching Open University courses use GauchoSpace.
Once you have created your UCSBnetID and password, you will be invited to join your course GauchoSpace.
Step 1: Register with GauchoSpace at https://gauchospace.ucsb.edu.
- Enter username (your UCSBnetID) and password (your UCSBnetID password).
- Remember your GauchoSpace ID #.
For more information, visit the GauchoSpace Student Resource Guide.
Step 2: Complete the Adding Open University Students to GauchoSpace form.
- Give the completed form to your instructor and ask to be added to GauchoSpace for the course.
- Complete the Adding Open University Students to GauchoSpace form for each course in which you are enrolled.
Step 3: Verify Access to GauchoSpace for each of your Open University Courses.
- Go to https://gauchospace.ucsb.edu.
- Enter your UCSBnetID and UCSBnetID password.
- Click on the course title to display course materials. If one of your courses that uses GauchoSpace is not displayed, notify the instructor to add your name. Note: If your instructor uses Scantrons for testing, write your GauchoSpace ID# (this is a proxy perm number) on the Scantron; do not use your Extension ID# on Scantrons.
College of Engineering (CoE) Account
Note: This access is only for Open University students who are enrolling in courses in the CHE, CMCSP, ECE, ENGR, MATR, or ME departments. Go to the student account creation page, and the College of Engineering will then approve your access to this service.
When you create a UCSBnetID, you will activate a u-mail account.
- Got to http://www.umail.ucsb.edu.
- Click "U-Mail WebAccess."
- Enter your UCSBnetID and add @umail.ucsb.edu (example: email@example.com).
- Enter your UCSBnetID password.
- You can forward your u-mail to your personal e-mail by logging into your u-mail account and doing the following:
- Click the "gear" (top right hand corner) and select "Options."
- Click "Connected Accounts."
- Enter your personal e-mail address under the "Forwarding" field.
- Click "Start Forwarding."