Even though Santa Barbara and Goleta are very safe communities, you should always think "SAFETY FIRST!"
Follow these tips when going out:
- Don’t go alone! Go with a friend. Criminals often target people who are by themselves.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see suspicious people around you, go to somewhere that has lots of light and people. Avoid dark deserted streets late at night.
- Carry a cell phone with you all of the time. Know how to call 9-1-1 quickly. Be prepared to tell them where you are.
- Avoid showing expensive jewelry or electronics. Crooks are looking for an easy or obvious victim. Items like iPods and flashy jewelry make tempting targets for thieves.
- The drinking age is 21 in California. Do not drink and drive.