The International Student Program "Student Services Fee" includes student health insurance. Typically, the insurance begins the day the program starts and ends one to two days after the program ends. Student health insurance does not include vision and dental coverage. Insurance is required and the fee cannot be waived. For a detailed description of insurance coverage, perform the following steps:
- Go to the Ascension website.
- Select Your School: University of California Santa Barbara.
- Select Your Plan: UCSB Professional and Continuing Education International Programs Health Insurance Plan and follow the directions.
Follow these steps to use the insurance and get your bills paid:
- Review the Insurance Plan.
- Choose a medical care provider.
- Pay for your medical treatment and ask for an itemized bill.
- Fill your prescription at any pharmacy, pay for your prescribed drugs, and ask for a detailed receipt.
- Within 90 days of treatment, submit a claim (form) for reimbursement for the charges for which the insurance company is responsible. Submit your itemized medical bill and receipt of payment along with the completed Aetna Medical Benefits Request Claim Form and your detailed prescription drug receipt along with a completed Aetna Prescription Drug Claim Form to the insurance company.
- You will need to pay the deductible (a nonrefundable portion of your medical bills) before the insurance company will begin paying benefits.
- In case of an emergency, dial 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room (ER).
- If the doctor’s office or clinic is closed and you need immediate attention but the illness or injury is NOT life threatening, you should try to visit an urgent care center instead of a hospital emergency room.