IMPORTANT CAMPUS COVID-19 REQUIREMENTS
As of June 13, 2022, masks are strongly recommended but they are no longer required in indoor spaces on campus regardless of vaccination status.
By enrolling in Open University, you can take UCSB courses without a formal admission at UCSB. Enrollment is dependent on space availability. Please note that enrollment approval is ultimately at the Academic Department's discretion.
Here are the steps for enrolling in Open University:
- As early as possible, complete the Open University pre-enrollment process here. Please find a quick summary of the Open University Fees and Deadlines here. After you have completed pre-enrollment, you will receive an email from our Customer Success Team with instructions on how to create your UCSBNetID which you will need to access Gauchospace, the UCSB online learning platform, where your course/s will be offered. Please allow up to 48 business hours after pre-enrollment to receive that email. If you already have a UCSBNet ID, you will not need to create a new one. The instructions you will receive via email will specify that.
- After you activate your UCSBNet ID and within a week of the first day of instruction, we will send you an email with instructions on how to fill out the required Open University Authorization Form . Please note that you will need to fill out an Open University Authorization Form for each course you plan to enroll in. Please do not send multiple forms for the same course as they will be voided.
- Find the course/s you want to take on the UCSB's main Schedule of Classes and make sure to enter the exact course number and description in the required Open University Authorization Form. If needed, please have evidence of prerequisite completion for your selected course/s.
- Once we receive the approved Open University Authorization Form from the proper Department Advisor, we will contact you to enroll you in the approved course/s and pay the course fees. Please note that you will also receive a copy of the Open University Authorization Form once it is either approved or denied by the proper Department. If you have NOT received a copy, then the Form has not been approved or denied yet. Please do not reach out to us asking for status since we do not control when Departments approve or deny Forms.
- Once officially enrolled, we will email you a Gauchospace/Canvas Form. You will send the form directly to the Instructor or Teaching Assistant via DocuSign in order to be added to the course/s. If your course is in Canvas (this does not apply to courses in Gauchospace) and you have never logged into Canvas before, please log into Canvas first, using your UCSBnetID and password. This creates your account. Then you will send the Gauchospace/Canvas Form to the Instructor/Teaching Assistant. You can find a list of Fall 2022 courses which will be taught in Canvas here. Our Department does not have visibility into Gauchospace/Canvas and does not add students to Gauchospace/Canvas.
- You are now ready to log into Gauchospace and/or Canvas with your UCSBNet ID and password, and participate in your course/s. Please remember that you need to have DUO installed in order to access Gauchospace/Canvas. Detailed DUO instructions can be found here. If you have questions or need help in enrolling in DUO, please submit a ticket here or call (805) 893-HELP (x4357). Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday.
Please note that if under 19 years of age, you will also need to submit Waiver and Authorization forms before enrolling in the course(s). These forms will be provided during the enrollment process.
NOTE: as an Open University student, you will not receive a Perm number or ID card. Only UCSB matriculated students receive a Perm number.