By enrolling in Open University, you can take UCSB courses without a formal admission at UCSB. Enrollment is dependent on space availability.
Here are the steps for enrolling in Open University:
- As early as possible, complete the Open University pre-enrollment process here. After you have completed pre-enrollment, you will receive an email from our Customer Success Team with instructions on how to create your UCSBNetID which you will need to access Gauchospace, the UCSB online learning platform, where your course/s will be offered. Please allow up to 48 business hours after pre-enrollment to receive that email.
- After you activate your UCSBNet ID and within a week of the first day of instruction, we will send you an email with instructions on how to fill out the required Open University Authorization Form . Please note that you will need to fill out an Open University Authorization Form for each course you plan to enroll in.
- Find the course/s you want to take on the UCSB's main Schedule of Classes and make sure to enter the exact course number and description in the required Open University Authorization Form. If needed, please have evidence of prerequisite completion for your selected course/s.
- Once we receive the approved Open University Authorization Form from the proper Department Advisor, we will contact you to enroll you in the approved course/s and pay the course fees. Please note that you will also receive a copy of the Open University Authorization Form once it is either approved or denied by the proper Department.
- Once officially enrolled, we will email you a Gauchospace Form. You will send the form directly to the Instructor or Teaching Assistant via DocuSign in order to be added to the course/s. Our Department does not have visibility into Gauchospace and does not add students to Gauchospace.
- You are now ready to log into Gauchospace and participate in your course/s.
Please note that if under 19 years of age, you will also need to submit Waiver and Authorization forms before enrolling in the course(s). These forms will be provided during the enrollment process.
NOTE: as an Open University student, you will not receive a Perm number or ID card. Only UCSB matriculated students receive a Perm number.