1. 186 Course Hours:
- 80 skills lab hours, in-person on campus (Weekends, 9am-5pm)
- 66 lecture hours, mostly live (Weekday evenings, 6:30-9:30pm)
- 24 Clinical Observation hours on AMR Ambulance (Self-scheduled)
- 8 hours for NR-EMT Psychomotor/Skills Exam (Last weekend of class)
- 8 hours CPR class (One weekend, 9am-5pm)
2. Additional Course Costs:
In addition to course tuition, there are other required expenses necessary to successfully complete the EMT Certification Course:
- Textbook Emergency Care, 14th Edition $95
- Student medical supplies - $85
- CastleBranch Subscription - $85 (includes: Background check, Drug test, TB screening and influenza vaccine)
- EMStesting test preparation subscription - $50
- Physical – conducted by your GP or UCSB Health Center
- Additional charges based on test vaccine compliance
Approximate total cost of course including tuition: $2,400
***PaCE Scholarships available! Apply Here.***
3. Course Requirements
To become a certified EMT the following requirements must be fulfilled during the course. Details will be shared in first day of class:
- CPR certification (included in the program)
- Drug Test
- Physical Exam
- Background Check
- Childhood immunization verification
- Hepatitis, Influenza and Covid-19 Vaccines
- Tuberculosis Testing
In addition to passing the course you will need to pass the following National Registry of EMT (NREMT) exams.
- National Registry Practical Exam- This exam is held at UCSB the weekend after the final exam. While the practical can be taken anywhere, we HIGHLY recommend you take it at UCSB.
- Cognitive Exam- This is a computer based test and it is given through Pearson-Vue Testing Centers(www.vue.com) the closest sites are in Santa Maria or Westlake, CA. This exam can be taken before or after the practical exam.
Once you complete the cognitive and practical exams, you become nationally registered. This certification does NOT allow you to work as an EMT. You must become CA State licensed.